Thursday 26 June 2014

Royal Highland Show Inspired Bag


I had a fantastic time a the Royal Highland Show in Edinburgh this weekend. My man and I hadn't planned on going to the show but unfortunately we had to cancel our original plans for the weekend at short notice. So instead of having a wasted day we decided to take the opportunity to spend it at the show. For those of you who are not familiar with the Highland Show it is Scotland's annual farming and countryside extravaganza and it is HUGE! Not only is there every type of farm animal you can think of but there is also an impressive range of agricultural equipment, entertainment, shopping and a fab food hall (with so many samples on sticks we didn't need lunch).


Not long after we decided to go I remembered that I had picked up a fat quarter with a fantastically wild farm print when I was a the Spring Quilt Festival earlier this year. How many opportunities do you get to use farm print fabric, I thought? 


I knew that I wanted to make a bag from this fat quarter so I went online a searched for simple fat quarter bag ideas. One of the first that I found was the Fat Quarter Bag Tutorial from Amy Smart of Diary of a Quilter. What I created was based roughly on Amy's tutorial but was a bit larger so I could fit my purse and other essential in.

The bag is fully lined using another fat quarter which I bought as a spare when I made my Aunt a tote bag for Christmas. I also coppied Amy's idea and included a strip of ribbon on the front of the bag. Altogether it was finished in a jiffy (ie started after dinner and finished before bed) and served as a lovely farm themed handbag for the day. I think now that the show is over, my little bag will spend the rest of its life carrying my lunch to work.  

So... here is my bag at the show along with some of the competitors we met throughout the day.

Prize winning hen
My new best friend
Highland Calf

Feeding time at the goats

Gigantic Bull
Highland Ponies
Pony on parade
Horse getting new shoes down at the forge
Highland Coo!
The Food Hall

2 comments:

  1. I love this fabric, it definitely suits the bag!
    On another note entirely, I was about to post your Spring Sewing swap parcel today when I realised I'd not even asked for your address! If you could email me (astudyinstitching@gmail.com) when you get chance, that would be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel and good job on the reminder about addresses. I sent you an email last night. I should be able to get your parcel sent tomorrow if I hear back from you today :-)

    ReplyDelete