Tuesday 23 April 2013

Custard Creams

I think there is a distinct lack of ideas when it comes to fund raising in my office. Every time there is a sponsored walk, run or cycle it is usually quickly announced that we will be holding another Friday bake sale. Now don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with baking for charity but on occasion cakes on Friday can be a bit repetitive. Never the less, last Friday was the turn of the Kiltwalk bake sale.

In an attempt to move away from my usual fruit loaf safety net that I will happily bake every day, I decided to go with an even older favourite Custard Creams.
As you can see I made quite a mess getting all my ingredients together. Why does icing sugar insist in going absolutely everywhere no matter how careful you are with it?

These humble little biscuits used to be a favourite when I was little and baking with my mum. They are nice and simple, quick to make and great with a coffee (essential when baking for the office).

I'm not entirely sure where the recipe came from originally but, my Gran and Mum have been using it for years.

Biscuit

6oz Plain flour
2oz Custard powder
6oz Marg
2oz Icing sugar
1/4 teaspoon Bicarb Soda 
  • Cream Marg and sugar together in a bowl
  • Sieve and mix together dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture a little at a time with a metal knife
  • Form small balls on baking tray and lightly press with fork (photo above shows half shaped with fork and half not)
  • Bake in oven for approx 15 min  @ 170 degrees
Filling
 
1oz Marg
2oz Icing sugar
couple of drops of vanilla essence
 
  • Wait for biscuits to cool down.
  • Cream together ingredients
  • Then sandwich a pair of biscuits together with creamed mixture.
 
My aunt was kind enough to buy me a heart shaped cake stand for Christmas and I have used it for just about everything I have baked since.

No comments:

Post a Comment