Tuesday 1 April 2014

A Quick Crochet


Last year when I went down to Birmingham for the cake and crafting shows, I noticed that everyone was wearing a little bit of handmade (mainly a knitted poppy for Remembrance Day). With that in mind and my imminent return to the NEC for the sewing for pleasure show, I decided that I was going to make myself a flower corsage style hair clip. So whilst watching The Great British Sewing Bee the other night I got my crochet hook out and created this little flower



This is the simple flower corsage pattern from Yellow, Pink and Sparkly. As the name says this is a really simple pattern and once you work out whether you are crocheting in US or UK (why oh why do we have to use different stitch names) then it is made in about 20mins. In fact it was so quick that I ended up making my mum a matching one during the sewing bee too. I had sent her the pic above and she immediately text back saying she wanted one too. 


I think the pattern calls for DK and a 3mm crochet hook. However, I only have 3 hooks so I just used my smallest one which I think was a 4mm. I also fancied using this chocolate brown and beige Rowan tweed which is an aran weight and not DK. As a result the flower is probably a different size than it is meant to be but I think it looks fab and it is perfectly suitable for what I am using it for.
The buttons came from a little stash I picked up at one of the Edinburgh thrift shops. Unfortunately, I have been in so many recently that I cant remember which one they came from.

Here is a terrible photo of me looking really awkward at the show. 
Also, my mum is still wearing hers and keeps moving it from top to top. 100% success :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment